The Wand Position

The Wand Position
Often Used for Magic

Friday, January 27, 2006

Feeling Thankful

How many times a day or a week do you think you might say, "Thank you." It is perhaps something that is said with the greatest of politeness and yet the words are intended to symbolize a feeling, meaning that you are showing gratitude with these words.
I have found recently that I feel better and those who I am thanking also feel much better when I - yes - say, "Thank you" alright but when I actually feel for myself the physical feeling of being thankful.
I've noticed this when I say my words that I say over food - many of us do this and yet I notice that when I actually feel the physical feelings of being grateful that I feel better and that there is a genuineness to the experience. This has prompted me to wonder how often do we say things to people when there is a feeling of, how can we say, social politeness going on.
It is not easy to bring up feelings in our complex society - meaning it's not always easy say at the office or at the factory or in the market to say, "Thank you" and bring up a feeling of being thankful because to do that one might also feel rather vulnerable or uncertain about one's act.
I'd like you to have the experience I've had however because it is such a good feeling. I feel physically better after feeling genuinely thankful - the physical feelings - you understand. I'm stressing that because it's so easy to get confused about being thankful and meaning it, mentally you understand - in our minds but not having the physical feelings - so I'd like to give you a little homework - it's been a while since I've done that eh.
I'm going to recommend that you practice feeling thankful. You can do it on your own. There's no need to involve anybody else immediately. Just practice feeling the physical feelings of thankful. It was very enlightening for me and I'm sure it will be for you as well.
If you like you can say a Living Prayer. You might say if you choose, "I am asking to find it very easy for myself to feel feelings of gratitude, thankfulness, happiness, joy, love and other benevolent feelings - to be able to practice them on my own and enjoy the good feelings for myself." You may think that sounds rather selfish but in order to be able to give people the opportunity to notice your feelings it might be good if you can notice them yourself. I have found this to be helpful. I hope it works for you.
Goodlife to you all and goodnight.

No comments: